12/18/08

EMPTY NEST???

Recently something unexpected has happened in my painting process. In times past, once a painting was about half done, I 'd often lose interest in painting it and have to push myself to stay with it. Occasionally I'd wish someone else would just complete the picture for me.

Lately I've discovered that I actually don't want a painting to be finished because I'll miss working on it. Is there such a thing an '''''empty nest syndrome''''' for painters? This post is one of the paintings that I didn't want to 'grow up and leave home.'

For the past several months, the entire process of planning, painting, and adjusting paintings has been invigorating and exciting. It's fun to see how the next part will look, to find out what would happen if... and I've certainly not been in my usual rush to finish works in progress. Even though I presently have a couple more paintings already in the planning and painting stages, I'll miss not getting to 'visit my brush' on the one that just got completed. Is that weird or not?

"SERENADE" Fluid Acrylics on 140#HP Arches 30 x 19"

9 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

No part of the creative process is weird. It is what it is and plays out in whatever medium we're using much of the workings of our inner selves.

I have always thought of my creative work — the songs, the paintings, etcetera — as my progeny. I used to spend far more time on paintings than I do now but my personality is such that I work through to the end rather than linger and revisit a piece. I have some that I love more than others and those are difficult to sell. But after a while, I want to shoo most of them out the door.

Suzanne McDermott said...

PS I got so caught up in writing about myself that I forgot to say, I love this painting. It's really beautiful, Sandy!

Ces Adorio said...

I had that happen to me too. I just completed a drawing and I went back to it to give it more details just because I like the drawing and there is one that took forever because I lost interest in it. It did turn out well after it was finished but it was a struggle. My problem about painting these days is not finishing but starting!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! You are such a great painter. How did you use the fluid acrylics?

Sandy Maudlin said...

Thank you, Ces, Suzanne, and Ida, for your comments. Ida, I use the fl acrylics just like watercolor - diluting with water to lighten as needed and applied just like I paint in w/c with one exception. If I don't want a hard edge, I MUST moisten the area first because as soon as Fl acylics touch dry paper, they set an edge. You can get backruns, salt it, glaze it, etc. The nice thing is, When you paint over a dry area, the paint underneath stays there and never muddies up the new glaze you're putting down. I've discovered I'm much more relaxed painting with them than w/c.

Ces,
You've got to start - you are SO talented and the block you've got must be pushed out of the way! Been there, too. It's great to be painting again.

sandy said...

That is incredibly beautiful colors. I love the water!!

Empty nest for artists. I suppose that's what you are going through, ha! Good way to put it.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Of course it feels like an empty nest when one of our fledglings stops needing us to develop. Its even worst (except for the cash!) when it leaves home altogether. Adore the contrast of colour between the building and the water.

Dawn said...

wow your treatment of the water is so very cool Sandy. I lovely painting! my mind boggles at just the thought of planning a painting for 6 hours. I am not even going to wonder about empty nest. maybe in a few years;)

Sandy said...

You are incredibly inspirational Sandy!
Right now I am like Ces...I have trouble starting... and maintaining interest.
However, the description you gave re fluid acrylics is most interesting and I feel inspired.
I have some (as yet unused)fluid acrylics...today just might be the start...