11/19/07

ACTIVITY

Ginkgo trees loose their leaves in one day. The way the leaves lay on the ground under the tree when they fall reminds me of wearing crinolines when we were little kids. The leaves around the trunk on the ground look like the crinolines did when you dropped them down around your ankles, before you stepped out of them.

Since I'm inspired to paint Ginkgos, I'm headed down to the studio and will hopefully be incorporating many things learned this past week from Nicholas Simmons. This painting is just an up close of part a painting we did last week in the workshop. The COLORS!!!!! WHEW! Doesn't get much more dynamic than this. I'm charged up.

Fluid Acrylic Watercolors on Arches HP 140# SOLD

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Wooo-eeee! That's great color! Can't wait to see what you do with this - and loved the description of the ginko leaves and little girls' crinolins :)

Anonymous said...

That's a cool crop of that one, Sandy...as I said the other day, some of my own best work was achieved by cutting off the 70% that I was trying to paint, and realizing the remaining 30 was better anyhow. Another reason to paint big!
I had a blast out there, and seeing your work in person - such as that barnburning yupo piece and the Italian village - was worth the trip alone. Always helpful to be on good terms with the serious brushslingers, and anytime I ride through Cincy, I'll be on my best behavior, and ordering nothing stronger than a sasparilla! Nick