12/10/08

EXPRESSION

Expression in art can have many meanings and forms for an artist. Today's demo was a quickly painted landscape using juicy watercolors, and I actually didn't want to leave the painting to go to a great holiday gathering of friends. Of course, we had a really good time together, and I was so glad I went.

This little oil painting, also from a summer ago, expressed my immediate impression of two people communicating. I realized during this morning's demo that when I'm forced to paint fast like this, I'm may be more likely to capture the essence of the message. Maybe I need a timer on me once in a while to speed me up, to help me capture that sense of moment that adds life to a painting.

This oil is a study of basic shapes for sure, with value and contrast being emphasized. Though the proportions could be more accurate, it's still something I could work with for a larger painting later.

Tomorrow's day includes working with fluid acrylics again. Painting with them seems to allow more freedom in my approach, and I like that. I've worked on one fluid acrylic painting for a couple of weeks now and really don't want it to end. The process of building the painting is a lot of fun so I'm sure that I won't use the timer to speed me up. It'll be posted as soon as it's done, as well as today's demo. Can't wait to show you.

"BEFORE CLASS STARTS" Oil on unstretched canvas 9 x 14"

3 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

With a timer I will never be able to draw or paint. I have this thing I do when I oil paint. I sit there and infuse the canvas with my emotion by sitting in front of it and concentrating until I am able to cry or my heart swells or my throat starts suffocating, then I am able to paint the eyes and the brushes just glide :)

Ces Adorio said...

Wow, I just went through your past post. You are prolific and do the greatest work!

Dawn said...

Hey Sandy, love this and the texture.
cant wait to see your Fluid acrylic work!