8/14/08

PAINT

We were allowed only five colors for our final workshop painting .... but I goofed and used six. Instructor Carol Carter's assignment to us was to paint something we really like while incorporating the wet in wet approach she'd been teaching us, using pure colors, on a half sheet of paper.

The colors are all Daniel Smith watercolors, which I love. SeveraI years ago, I made a gradual switch from mostly Winsor Newton paints to Daniel Smith paints, trying some Holbien, Maimeri Blu, Da VInci, American Journey, and Schmincke brands along the way. There are a couple of colors I prefer from other brands but seldom use those colors anymore.

Phthalo Blue and Quinacridone Burnt Orange make up the background with some Permenant Yellow Deep and Cobalt Violet Deep added for halos. Quinacridone Magenta and Transparent Pyrrol Orange along with the Phthalo and Permanent Yellow Deep created the colors on the paint tubes. It's kind of a goofy painting - giant paint tubes - but it's what I love.

Earlier that morning I was uncertain about what to paint. While sitting in church, I grabbed a pen and drew a quick sketch of three paint tubes, scribbling a circle around them. My brother saw me writing and thought I was taking notes. The message was about creativity, and we even watched an artist paint during part of the celebration.

"MY MAIN SQUEEZE" Transparent Watercolor on 300#CP Arches 15 x 22"

9 comments:

Dawn said...

I love the colors here too Sandy! very nice!

RH Carpenter said...

I still say you need to send this to Daniel Smith so they can put it on their catalog cover! Hmmm...drawing in church? Bad girl!

Vicki Greene said...

These wonderful colors are so interesting and I am looking forward to seeing what you do in your future paintings.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Sandy....I, too, thought as Rhonda shame on you for drawing in curch. But, then, maybe that is the "true" place to receive "Devine inspiration" if there ever is any place to receive that! I have, often times, felt that inspiration to go forth (although never in a creative sense) in a church service so go for it!

Carol Carter said...

sandy

i love the blog on the work you did in the workshop!! you do me proud! i am so happy that you liked some of the tips.. and i LOVE the work you produced. you are such a fine person.. AND teacher.. it was a privelege to work with you!

carol

Nava said...

Wonderful abstraction and lost edges on this one!! (and stunning colors - that goes without sayin'...)

sandy said...

What a unqiue subject matter, the tubes of paint but the way you painted them, wow. wow.

Do you order your paints on line or buy then at somewhere like Aaron Brothers...

Sandy Maudlin said...

Thanks, y'll, for your kind comments. I buy the paints on line or via phone. I didn't know they could be purchased anywhere else. As far as I know, you can only get them from the Seattle company. I carry a stash of them here for my students, too.

Sandy said...

Well, wherever inspiration comes from I think it is always devine and you are blessed with inspiration and enthusiasm in abundance.
Your ability to create and share is also a gift ..thank you for sharing your ideas and techniques with us.