8/3/08

BATIK LOOK ALIKE

Last week I posted the batik window I demo-ed during Craftsummer, painted from the same photo reference as this one. Today's post has a batik look, but it's done using masking tape as the preserver of colors and values, instead of using wax.

Actually, when a painting's all done, the wax is easier to iron off than the masking tape is to pull off. And the wax is much easier to put on than tearing little pieces of tape to fit each shape. But I love the results, so I think it's worth it.

Each time I use this photo reference, I like to change the quilt area to my liking. One of my long time good friends from way back in grade school bought this to hang in her family room, and I even get visiting privileges to see it (and her.)

"BETSY'S ROOM" Transparent Watercolor on 140#CP Arches, about 17 x 23" COLLECTED


2 comments:

Dawn said...

ohh now I am thinking this may be my favorite! love that golden light Sandy! perfect!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

These are among my favorite colors and I love the old look of this. Doing it with what I understand of your masking tape technique just makes it all the more special since I doubt I have the patience to do all that cutting and taping. Very interesting process.