6/10/08

FLORAL BATIK

I just got back home from a gorgeous lake setting in Michigan where I enjoyed a relaxing and inspiring weekend with one of my favorite art 'cronies' (my husband's terminology.) Lynne is a gifted photographer who has incredible timing with her camera and is able to see (and capture on disk) aspects of nature in her own unique way.

She has hummingbirds EVERYWHERE! She fills her feeders with a 3 to 1 water to sugar ratio, and it does the job of attracting them constantly, even during torrential downpours. There was quite an array of wildlife to enjoy - cranes, herons, frogs, turtles, butterflies and song birds, as well as exquisitely beautiful gardens at Linda's home to explore. It's an excellent fishing lake for catching bass and for watching storms roll in across the lake --- WHEW! Exhilarating.

We never did make time to produce any works of art, even though I packed all my painting and batiking supplies. The batik shown here was painted several years ago and belongs to Lynne and Jamie now.

It's sometimes a much needed inspiration to just unwind and share with friends rather than to spend the hours producing paintings. Either way, we would have fun together. Not only can Lynne take great photos, but she's become an excellent cook, too!!! So I was well fed, got my batteries recharged, and now have a great weekend full of memories. Many THANKS!

"HE LOVES ME..." Transparent Watercolor and Sumi Ink on Thai Unryu Rice Paper, adhered to 140#CP Arches about 15 x 11" COLLECTED

5 comments:

Dawn said...

glad you had a relaxing weekend Sandy.
I almost stopped this morning to take photos of the daisys along side the road here. it was raining just to hard to stop. I love yours and I am still dry!

Michelle Himes said...

I love that batik look, and it works really well with daisies. Glad you had such a fun weekend, even if you didn't paint.

Ann Buckner said...

Sounds like you had a grand time, Sandy. It is nice to have you back and to see more of your work. The daisies sure brightened my day!

RH Carpenter said...

I'd sure love to see you try that with the Nick Simmons "batik" look in fluid acrylics - I think it would be fun and very cool :)

Niclas Jönsson said...

I absolutely love this one, it´s great! What a wonderful texture! You´re work inspire me a lot!/Niclas J.