7/18/08

YUPO STILL LIFE

This bouquet was so gorgeous I simply had to paint it. I used miskit to mask out the pure white areas on several flowers. Even though I could easily lift off the paint later from the slick YUPO surface, I would not be able to get a crisp edge like I needed for the daisies and lilies.


When you have a minute, check out the slide show on the right hand side bar of this blog. All the paintings in the slide show were created on YUPO, and there are many diverse approaches shown in the slide show.


One of the exciting things about being an artist is being able to 'play and discover' new ways to do things. Painting watercolor on unusual surfaces certainly brings out the playfulness in me. I used to love painting on a sheet of gessoed paper or a sheet of paper with mat medium painted randomly over it, but YUPO is already to go just like it is.

Yesterday, Dawn Bailey (Vulture Cafe - see side bar) and I got a chance to paint together and took just a little time to play on YUPO. We painted a top a picnic table amidst ferns and conifers. It was a perfect day and felt so good to be painting with a friend! Dawn brought along her hummingbird nest, and you wouldn't believe how very small it is to have held two baby birds. We had hotdogs and smoores over the campfire, and I saw a hummingbird dart down to some petunias nearby. What a great time.

(HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Matt!)


"SONNEY'S BOUQUET" Transparent Watercolor on YUPO 15 x 21"

5 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

Wow! I love the depth in this piece, Sandy. The values are fantastic. I'm also thrilled to read about your get together with Dawn from Vulture. It sounds like you had a lovely time and that makes me very happy!

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for the comments. Dawn and I had a great time blowing in the wind - and I mean WINDY - yesterday, too. No painting, tho.

Dawn said...

Hi Sandy,

I miss you already! hope your flight home is a good one. thank you for everything!
your yupo flowers and the batik flowers are lovely.

sandy said...

Beautiful! I've enjoyed catching up here. Your Yupo's are always so amazing and "fluid"..

s

Sandra Yorke said...

Love your YUPO paintings!! Are you planning any workshops in the Pacific Northwest soon? Would love to take one of your workshops!