6/27/08

FINISHED YUPO

This was the first big painting I did many years ago on a full sheet of heavy weight YUPO - 40 inches long by 26 inches wide. All the weights of YUPO are the same exact surface and accept the paint the same, but since YUPO doesn't absorb water at all, no matter what the weight is, it never stretches or warps like regular cotton watercolor paper does when it's wet.

I prefer the heavy weight over the lighter YUPO just because it's easier to handle. The light weight YUPO is very flimsy, so if I move the painting at all while I'm working on it, I have little control over how easily the paper flops around. Medium weight YUPO is ok to work on, too, and recently I've used the fairly flimsy translucent YUPO. Because you can see through what's called Transparent YUPO, it's easy to trace a drawing through it onto the surface.

Did you know that if you erase on YUPO, the eraser makes an invisible mark that won't ever accept paint? Using watercolor pencils - Derwent brand is best - works well for drawing on YUPO because you can 'erase' mistakes with a moistened tissue.

These colorful 'boats' in Maine were so vibrant in all that marine wilderness, that I knew they'd become a painting on YUPO. Anything with dancing colors looks extremely good on YUPO, since the colors stay put, never fading on the paper. Often, on cotton watercolor paper, the colors look spectacular while they are wet, then once the paint dries, the color looses it's pop. (Can you tell I'm very partial to all the good qualities of painting on YUPO?)

Whatever we paint on, the most important thing we can do is to 'tell' others what's important to us, how we see the world in our own special way. The materials and techniques we use certainly affect how we express ourselves, but being an artist involves creating something that lets others see our own personal point of view. Otherwise, we're just decorating the canvas or paper with some nice colors, textures, and shapes.

One of these days, I'm going to order a whole roll of YUPO. Imagine how big those paintings will be!

"FRIENDSHIP COMPLETED" Transparent Watercolor on YUPO, 40 x 26"

5 comments:

Dawn said...

another amazing yupo! the boats look like a photo. I can smell the marine smells, sometimes nice sometimes not.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy,a nice surprise to find your blog,beatiful watercolors here.This is great should be more so at IRL at this size.Should check back often.
Nusret

Sandy said...

I really love looking at your beautiful paintings on yupo. It is so obvious that you thoroughly enjoy making these delightful images. Thank you too, for sharing your thoughts and techniques.

sandy said...

That is great reading and I like what you said about telling others about your technique, etc.

Beautiful painting.

Brenda Yarborough said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog! Wow - you are a MASTER with the Yupo, I love your sea scenes! I haven't been successful with painting reflections on water and seeing your examples has "sparked" me to try again.