3/17/08

YUPO OTTER BE IRISH

This little guy may be thinking, "Top of the Morning to ya!" Everyone in his hometown of Homer, Alaska calls him "GRANDPA," and I don't think he goes without food too often. He lives in the harbor there and loves to stare you down . . . cute and adorable, too, even though he's capable of eating up to 20 pounds of food a day.

Alaskan otters grow to be almost 5' long, and their fur has well over a half a million hairs per square inch! That's thick hair. They spend almost half their time grooming themselves so that they stay waterproof. (Talk about high maintenance.) Still, they seem so playful. They've been one of my very favorite animals for a long, long time. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

"OSCAR OTTER" Transparent Watercolor on YUPO 19 x 13"

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya!

Anonymous said...

Nice work. Otters are one of my favorites.


You might get a chuckle if you stop by my brookville daily photo blog and take a look at me wearing a blonde wig.

Carl H. Sr. said...

Hi Sandy,I like both your words and your watercolors.What a precious gift God gave you!
I'll try to stop by often,as I appreciate your gift.

Dawn said...

ahh Sandy I love otters the best. though we dont get to see the sea otter very often here. they are rare in our parts. They have to keep their fur groomed because they do not have blubber to keep them warm like other sea mammals. Love the otter!
happy St Pats day to you!