3/9/09

BUBBLES TO THE RESCUE

Several of my classes have 'painted' with bubbles, then created a painting from the bubble print. On Thursday, Suzanne mentioned printing her pomegranate picture with the bubbles. BRILLIANT IDEA! So I stole her idea and printed mine, too.

The original (below) was okay but the addition of the burnt orange bubbles seem to add a much needed texture and interest to this simple still life, as well as contributing more unity by slightly warming the background. The thin bubble lines compliment the pen and ink, too. Thanks so much, Suzanne.

One of things we all value in the classes is the creative synergy that occurs. Although many say that art is a solitary occupation, it's evident that artists creating together build on each other's energies and input, especially when the atmosphere is so positive and encouraging.
I spend a lot of hours planning and painting alone in my studio but do think I paint better when I'm with other artists. It's certainly more fun, too.

"THREE OF A KIND" Pen & Ink with Fluid Acrylic and Fluid Acrylic Bubbles on 140#HP Arches 15 x 9" COLLECTED

10 comments:

Dawn said...

wow you have been so busy while I have been only distracted.

all your painting changes have been awsome.

wish I was there:)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Love the addition of the burnt orange bubbles in the b/g. Very free and fresh. You always seem to know what to add to finish off a piece of work and bring out the main image's splendour.

Judy said...

Just wonderful Sandy as is your entire blog site. There is so much information here. I know you have workshops but do you have a DVD for say your methods on painting on YUPO? Just wondering

Sandy Maudlin said...

Thanks fo the kind comments, Dawn and Joan. And Judy, I think the best dvds on the market regarding YUPO are by George James. Taking lots of time to experiment with the slick surface and its reaction to the paint is probably the best way to learn how to create beauty on YUPO. Everyone using it learns new ways to hande the paint. Keep at it.

Barb Sailor said...

Sandy, the rust bubbles seem to pull the painting together and add so much. I tried the bubbles the other night and it worked pretty well. I did find that I needed some ventilation as it created some fumes - at least my eyes were burning which I didn't expect. Not enough to halt the process though! Has this happened to you? :)

laura said...

I love your pomegranates, which are deceptively difficult to draw (or I've found them to be so); the colors are luminous and the background so interesting!
(I'm going to get some Yupo! There are different weights, I think: do you recommend one over another?)

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hi Barbara and Laura, The smell of the Dawn was definately noticeable - had 7 containers of the stuff mixed up - but my studio is pretty big so it didn't overpower us. It does put off an odor for sure.

And Laura, the heavy weight YUPO is what I use most. There's no need to tap since it doesn't stretch. When I want to tip a corner or a side to make the paint move, the heavy weight handles the easiest. However, the paint reacts the same on all 3 weights. The light weight is pretty flimsy, so I do avoid it. The medium is cut 20x26," and I have used it a lot, too. The heavy weight comes 26x40" which is great for bigger paintings. It's all personal preference. Hope that helps.

Margaret Ann said...

FAN...tastic!!!

Sandy Maudlin said...

Glad you stopped by, Margaret Ann.

sandy said...

This is such a great idea and these are gorgeous.