12/14/07

TAKING THE RIGHT STEPS

It's amazing how many times I've taken steps to close my world in instead of exploring the possibilities that are before me. This painting has something to do with that idea.

If only we KNEW what was at the top of the steps, behind that door, we'd know whether or not to climb them and knock. There are many steps and doors I've ignored, maybe because the climb seemed too steep or the door didn't look all that appealing. Then there are those steps I've chosen, thinking I was going somewhere great, and discovered, with regret, that it wasn't so good after all.

Maybe it takes a little faith or some special encouragement to make the climb and knock on the door. I'm very thankful for all the people who have encouraged my climb. I treasure each step, even the really steep ones.

"SEEK, AND YOU WILL FIND" Transparent Watercolor, Conte Crayon, Graphite, Charcoal, Painted Paper Collage, all on Strathmore Aquarius 80#, 15 x 22"

3 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

But if we knew what awaited at the top of the stairs or around the bend, it would spoil all the fun of getting there! Good piece! Complex and mysterious and organized all at the same time.

RH Carpenter said...

I agree with Suzanne, the journey is what it's all about. A good heart makes any journey a good experience and you, Sandy, have a good heart - you're not too bad at this art thing, either! :)

Sandy Maudlin said...

It seems that often the journey itself gets whisked off to the side because our focus is on the goal or place or product or painting or relationship we're after. Staying in the here and now, like a child, certainly makes life more fun and colorful and yet, I do see how very important it is to be seeking the right steps/things/painting/relationships, etc. It's so hard to know what way to go sometimes ... in both art and life! Amazing how alike they are, isn't it.