7/10/09

GREAT ART & NEW FRIENDS

Teaching a five day workshop is invigorating and fulfilling for me, (as well as exhausting.) As a teacher, I get to watch wonderful, creative artwork being born as well as get to know some fascinating and often unusually talented artists. The supplies we use and the techniques we employ give us similar vehicles to uniquely express who we are as artists.

Each person's use of color, line, shape, and texture is different from the next. Approaches varied for each assignment, and the results were stunning. Some of the batiks were over two feet long, but most were between 12" and 18".

Batik is an intense method of creating art using hot wax to preserve shapes. We all learned from each other, from our successes and from our failures.

It seems that each painting expresses a special part of that artist in a way that only she can express. The happy accidents along the way added to the mystery of making art. It was a wonderful week. Thank you all for being such a great class, for working so hard, for making it fun to be with other artists. The hardest part for me is always saying "goodbye" at the end.





Linda Lyons - 12" square circle design

DeeAnne Helm - Harbor batik

















Emily Hostetter - City lights













Sondra Karipides - Daisies














Kathy Storrie - Venice
















Sarajane Steinecker - 12" square leaf design



















Irene Friedman - 12" square design




















Jenny Koch - 12" square design





















Amber Michaels - Portraits with collage

















Andrea Stewart
- 12" design

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

More phenomenal work. I am truly impressed at what people can do.

Ginny Stiles said...

Wow.
I think I say that almost every time I go to your blog. I run out of adjectives. I wonder if you could go home every night during the teaching of this class? I am thinking about it from a teacher's point of view...it can be doubling exhausting to be living in a motel while teaching a class. And then you have time to check out other people's blogs at 10:30 at night!!! And make comments. THAT is impressive! Teaching is VERY exhilarating but also very demanding. I sure hope I can take one of your classes some day in batik or Yupo.

Barb Sailor said...

I'm with Ginny on this - wonderful blog!!! These batiks are great and so many creative ideas. I am still trying to accumulate the necessary supplies to start, but this certainly stimulates my creative juices. You are a great teacher.

Dawn said...

this and the last post contain some great great paintings, how cool to be able to put this post up and know you helped the artists create these treasures.Kudos to you Sandy!

Michelle Himes said...

I love all your batik students' work! I wish I were in the class.