12/1/08

PAUSING TO REST

One beautiful day this past September, we'd finished sightseeing on a small island in northern Italy and had about a half an hour to wait before our ride arrived. This older gentleman waited, too, as he leaned into his cane, and I saw a painting waiting to emerge. After a very quick one minute gesture sketch, my brushes were ready to fly.

Plopping some color on the postcard sized paper, I worked on what had first drawn my eye - his demeanor. I'd barely roughed in his clothes and skin shapes and glanced up to see what to adjust. At that moment, he stood up and walked away. WAIT!

So much for painting plein aire. The rest of the painting took about twenty five minutes with a little tweaking added later. One of my cousins has this at her house now, and I must go visit soon.

"LOST IN THOUGHT" Transparent Watercolor on 140#CP Fabriano Artistico 7 x 5" COLLECTED

4 comments:

Nava said...

That's the catch with painting people plein air - they have the annoying habit of moving once you start. they can sit there motionless for hours, but once you dip your brush in paint - that's it.

which is why I am always armed with a camera - first a photo, then try my luck with a sketch. would be much easier to be a rock painter...

Suzanne McDermott said...

Absolutely marvelous, Sandy!

Dawn said...

I wanna rest with him! so nice Sandy!

Cathy Gatland said...

Well in spite of him moving off, you caught him beautifully - it's such a lovely painting.