12/27/08

FAMILY

Time with family is so important to me during the holidays. Our four grandkids have been with us since Christmas night, and on Tuesday, I'll see both of my brothers and their families.

This painting of my brother and sister-in-law's dogs was done many years ago. I remember being amazed that when I painted the values darker in that grayish fur on little Sarah, that she actually looked real. This may have been one of the first dog portraits I ever painted, and I learned a lot about paying attention to edges.

We'll be painting this next week, and I'll get to meet my youngest niece, too. There's a package for her in my suitcase - new paints and brushes. Can't wait to enjoy watching her explore the glorious experiences art brings.

"DOOGIE AND SARAH" Transparent Watercolor on 140#CP Arches 24 x 18" COLLECTED

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a really nice time-and I love your painting!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Good news - through Carol who visits my blog I now know Jacksons Art Supplies of London (with whom I have an account!!) stocks YUPO. They are closed til 5th Jan when I shall immediately order 10 full sheets. Cant wait to have a go. I'll keep you posted.
Meanwhile like the dogs - beautiful and realistic colours. Yes agreed, Christmas is wonderful to get together with family.

RH Carpenter said...

Love these doggies - such personality you've captured - and that lush brown fur makes me want to reach out and touch it :) Have a wonderful time with family, Sandy, and enjoy starting another painter on her way.

sandy said...

..applauding!!