7/3/08

CELEBRATE!!!

Tomorrow's the day for fire crackers and fireworks. The skies in the evening will be filled with amazing displays of colorful lights accompanied by lots of bangs and booms as we celebrate our nation's 232 'birthday.'

The little fellow here celebrates his birthday this coming Tuesday, too. He'll be eight and wants some basketball stuff for his birthday.

Becoming a grandparent and being an artist nearly requires that you paint portraits of your grandchildren. I painted this picture of our older grandson at the first Janet Rogers' Workshop I'd ever taken in Florida.

Learning to paint loosely is very challenging, especially when you're painting babies, yet I so enjoy the results when it turns out good. It looks like the paint was just haphazardly plopped onto the paper, but actually, much thought and consideration was given before quickly plopping that brush down each time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA. And Happy 8th, B.R.M.

"BLUE JEAN BABY" Transparent Watercolor on 140# CP Arches 18 x 18" COLLECTED

8 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hey! What happened to the barn?! I'm glad I caught that in my feed. I can't remember the details of the post now but I hope the paper batik class (workshop) is loads of fun. I really loved the batik barn and hope it finds its way back to the blogosphere. These kids take over everything. They're the center of the universe!

Sandy Maudlin said...

The barn batik will return. I'm occassionally more computer challenged than other times, and I posted the publishing time incorrectly on both of these.

And you are SO right - they DO take over - our time, our money, our hearts, certainly the center of the universe like you said.!

sandy said...

This is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E. Sandy you surprise me everytime I come here.

Carol said...

Hi Sandy
Love your use of colour and the freedom of the brushstroke. You are inspiring.

www.ezzeevirtualart.com
www.ezzeeart.com

Dawn said...

what a treat to have a portrait artist in the family! your children are blessed to have you painting the grandchildren! Very cute painting Sandy!

RH Carpenter said...

My feed directed me to the barn, too, but then said it wasn't available :( I missed it.
Hey, you painted this with Janet and got by without using Skip's Green or Violet? :)
Great sense of fun with this one! What a great thing to have 5 little models all the time who will grow and change and be there for grandma to paint :)

Sandy Maudlin said...

Thanks for stopping by to see our little first. I really appreciate your comments. The barn will be here soon, but I only have 4 grandkids to paint, plus a granddog and two grandcats, Rhonda. You've got some more to paint, too! Keep those brushes wet.

Cathy Gatland said...

What a lovely portrait - lucky grandchildren. I love the looser style here, and in your Cotton Candy painting.