7/9/08

BURRO BATIK

The batik process has been around for a very very long time, but to be able to do batik, you just about have to think backwards from a normal painting process.


This batik was created several years ago. I usually do only one or two batiks a year, partially because of the mess, and partially because they take a lot of time. I also prefer working on batiks when there's really good air circulation in the studio, too, since hot paraffin fumes aren't so good to breathe.


This slide-converted-to-disc didn't reproduce the colors very accurately on this painting either. It's more colorful than shown on my computer monitor.


"HEAVY LOAD" Transparent Watercolor on Kinwashi adhered to 140#CP Arches 12 x 15"

3 comments:

Nava said...

This is absolutely incredible! I am getting very curious about this technique (and messy is my middle name...)!

But, more importantly: I have come bearing an award. Check out my recent post here.

Michelle Himes said...

I love these batik paintings, Sandy. I'm really going to have to try that some day. I envy those who are taking your workshop.

sandy said...

Ohhh I love your new batiks! Can' wait to see that slide show you referenced above.